Sunday, December 15, 2013

HERMANN SCHWAB: MEMORIES OF R' HIRSCH

"Forty years ago on a summer morning, we children were taken for a walk along the den", the green belt which surrounded the old town of Frankfort-an-Main. We were not far from the "Schoene Aussicht", close to the bank of the River Main where Samson Raphael Hirsch lived, when my brother, my senior by two years. took hold of my arm and whispered: "The Rabbi". We stopped. Accompanied by one of his grand-daughters. Samson Raphael Hirsch, stooping slightly, but with firm steps, passed by. He raised his hat to the two small boys who stared at him with curiosity. His dark eyes were lit up by a kindly smile on beholding two members of the third generation of his community. I have never forgotten the friendly gesture of the Rabbi whose venerable figure had become part of my life at a very early stage."

HERMANN SCHWAB: MEMORIES OF FRANKFORT

No comments:

Post a Comment