Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Linked Post - CrownHeights.info: Kristallnacht Survivor’s Firsthand Account

------
"To commemorate the coming 75th anniversary of Kristallnacht (November 9,1938), we present to our readers a first-person account of Kristallnacht, written by Mrs. Hanna Tennenhaus, OBM, whose Shloshim was just marked by her descendants. This account was published in the Canadian Jewish News in November, 1998:

"That fateful night, Nov. 9, 1938, I studied late. After finishing my homework, I took a piece of paper from a notebook, wrote Ich hasse Hitler (I hate Hitler), then quickly burned it in the dying embers remaining in the red tiled stove and went to bed.

"At 2 a.m. there was a great commotion in the street. “Juden raus, Juden raus” (Jews out, Jews out) went the awful shouts. Our bell rang incessantly. My mother, in a long white nightgown, went from room to room in great agitation, while my father prayed silently."
------

cont.

No comments:

Post a Comment